Stella One Step Forward–Two Steps Back

I did get the wing covered this weekend, but then discovered that the horizontal and vertical stabs (which were glued in to the fuse some time back!) were out of square. I am kicking myself for not checking it when I assembled them to the fuselage, that was just plane dumb! All the laser cut parts  slip together with such precision, that I just assumed that everything would key together square. Wrong!

The misalignment became very apparent once trial fit the covered wing to the fuselage and it became obvious that the horizontal stab was not at all parallel to the wings. The vertical stab was also off, but not by as much. So, out with the razor blades and Xacto knifes to carefully cut the horizontal stab free, which I did with minimal damage (other than the covering on the stab). The vertical stab, would require major surgery to remove, so I settled for loosening it up enough to shim it as close to true as possible (not perfect, but close).

I’ve got the stabs recovered and ready to be reassembled, but decided to put it aside for now. I want to look at with fresh eyes before committing to glue (again!).

I also started covering the ailerons. I got one partially covered, but I was not all happy with how it was coming out when the “dinner bell” rang, so I ripped off the covering and decided to call it quits.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Building Projects, SA Stella. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s