TF P-47 I Ended up Going Backwards Today :(

Well I spent quite a bit of time in my shop this weekend. I made great progress getting the stab and fin fitted to the fuse and aligned. I got everything true and square and ready to go. I even picked up a Robart incidence gauge and used it ensure that the stab had the proper +1 deg. incidence angle. I mixed up the epoxy and got everything glued up and fitted into place. Now I start to worry because after 90 minutes (using 30 minute epoxy), the epoxy left over in my mixing cup is still soft and tacky and shows no sign of kicking. I hit the cup with a little heat and the epoxy immediately turns runny, so I convince myself that I did not add enough hardener.

I know that 30 minutes epoxy takes about 8 hours to fully set up, and that there is some forgiveness to the mix, but I decided that I’d rather be safe than sorry, so I pulled everything apart. Of course, this leaves me with a big sticky mess to clean up. I got most of it cleaned off by heating it up and scraping it off using single edge razor blades. While doing this, I managed to cut my finger and did not notice that it was bleeding until I saw blood stains on the balsa!

I think I have everything cleaned up with only some minor cosmetic damage. I am off to North Carolina again this week, so I won’t be able to try again until next weekend.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Building Projects, TF P-47. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s